Singer-songwriter and former Replacements guitarist Slim Dunlap suffered a debilitating stroke in February of 2012, but if a silver lining can be found in such a thing, the outpouring of both support and music in that unfortunate event's wake has been a mighty thing. The 'Mats themsevles intitially reformed and recorded Songs for Slim, a benefit EP sold at auction.
Then came the monthly 7-inch series, which wrangled covers of Dunlap's music by such luminaries as John Doe, Vanessa Carlton, Deer Tick, Jeff Tweedy, Lucero, Frank Black and others. Now all of those loving tributes acan be heard in one place: Songs For Slim - Rockin Here Tonight: A Benefit Compilation For Slim Dunlap, a double-disc set that will be released on November 11 via New West Records.
In addition to the 18 songs originally released as 45s (other entries come from Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Jakob Dylan, and Patterson Hood, to name a few), the release will be packaged with 10 unreleased bonus tracks. Those include works by Soul Asylum and the Jayhawks (LP.ORG). Peruse the track list below. But first, a word from Slim's wife, Chrissie Dunlap:
"His comfort has been interrupted by many trips to the hospital, but his will to live is strong. His mantra is 'Fight, fight, fight.' All of us who love him are fighting with, and for, him. His strength, along with the love and support of so many wonderful friends and fans, has kept him going. Slim is so grateful for the Songs For Slim project and takes great joy in listening to his songs performed by some of his favorite musicians and friends. The revenue from the project has saved us from financial ruin, enabled us to hire nursing help and therapists, and helped to make him as comfortable as possible. Slim and the family send our love and gratitude to New West and everyone involved in the project, and everyone who bought a song for Slim. Special thanks to our long time friend, Peter Jesperson, who worked tirelessly to produce Songs for Slim, and to whom we are eternally grateful."
Songs For Slim - Rockin Here Tonight: A Benefit Compilation For Slim Dunlap:
Disc One: The 45s
1. The Replacements - "Busted Up"
2. Chris Mars - "Radio Hook Word Hit"
3. Steve Earle - "Times Like This"
4. Craig Finn & Friends - "Isn't It"
5. Lucinda Williams - "Partners in Crime"
6. Tommy Keene - "Nowheres Near"
7. The Minus 5 feat. Curtiss A. - "Rockin Here Tonight"
8. Tim O'Reagan & Jim Boquist - "Cozy"
9. Jakob Dylan - "Ain't No Fair (In a Rock 'N' Roll Love Affair)"
10. Joe Henry - "Taken On The Chin"
11. John Doe - "Just for the Hell of It"
12. Deer Tick, Scott Lucas, Vanessa Carlton - "From the Git Go"
13. Frank Black & the Suicide Commandos - "The King & Queen"
14. You Am I - "Ain't Exactly Good"
15. Patterson Hood - "Hate This Town"
16. The Young Fresh Fellows - "Loud Loud Loud Loud Guitars"
17. Jeff Tweedy - "The Ballad of the Opening Band"
18. Lucero - "From the Git Go"
Disc Two: Unreleased Bonus Tracks
1. Peter Holsapple - "Laugh It Up (it's all a big joke anyway)"
2. John Eller - "Girlfiend"
3. Soul Asylum - "Little Shiva's Song"
4. The Young Fresh Fellows - "Slim's Place"
5. Bee, Louie & Brien - "Two By Two"
6. Chris Mars - "When I Fall Down"
7. Chan Poling - "Chrome Lipstick"
8. Frankie Lee - "Times Like This"
9. LP.ORG - "The Ballad of the Opening Band"
10. The West Saugerties Ale & Quail Club Feat. John Sebastian - "Love Lost"