Culture \

Jason Bateman Says He’s “Deeply Sorry” for Disastrous Arrested Development Interview

The cast of Arrested Development gave a group interview to the New York Times that was published online yesterday, in which the subject of Jeffrey Tambor’s alleged abuses on the set of Transparent naturally came up. The men of Arrested Development, especially Jason Bateman, were rightfully criticized for their quickness to defend Tambor when Jessica Walter tearfully spoke about verbal harassment that Tambor subjected her to. Now, Bateman has issued an apology on Twitter, writing that he is “horrified that I wasn’t more aware of how this incident affected [Walter],” and “incredibly embarrassed and deeply sorry” for his handling of the interview. Read the full statement below.

So far, Netflix has strongly stood by Tambor in the wake of the Transparent allegations. The new season of Arrested Development arrives May 29.

Update (5/24 12:20 p.m.) Arrested Development cast member Tony Hale (Buster Bluth) has also issued a statement explaining that he apologized to Walter personally for things “both said and unsaid” in the Times article regarding Tambor’s treatment of her.