Worst New Music rockers Muse are the Best Act in the World Today, according to the 2012 Q Awards. The U.K. trio received the slightly hyperbolic title at Q Magazine‘s annual awards ceremony yesterday (October 22), presumably for the achievements of their latest “21st-century-art-rock-meets-sappy-popera” album The 2nd Law and world tour.
If that’s causing too much cognitive dissonance, 68-year-old soul man Bobby Womack won Best Album for his spirtual The Bravest Man in the Universe; psych-pop/post-punk hybrid band Django Django took home Best New Act award; Blur was crowned Best Live Act; and Pulp was honored with the Q Inspiration Award. Also, the Smiths’ Johnny Marr was awarded the Q Hero statuette, and Killers’ frontman Brandon Flowers was officially declared a Q Idol.
Check out the full list of winners below.
- Best New Act: Django Django
- Best Track: Plan B, “Ill Manors”
- Best Album: Bobby Womack, The Best Man in the Universe
- Best Live Act: Blur
- Best Video: Keane, “Disconnected”
- Best Solo Artist: Emeli Sandé
- Best Act In The World Today: Muse
- Q Classic Song: Dionne Warwick, “Walk On By”
- Q Idol: Brandon Flowers
- Q Spirit Of Independence: The Cribs
- Q Innovation In Sound: Underworld
- Q Inspiration Award: Pulp
- Q Icon Award: Dexys
- Q Classic Album: Manic Street Preachers, Generation Terrorists
- Q Hero: Johnny Marr