SPIN.com’s Best of the Week, November 3-9
Fall Out Boy and Smashing Pumpkins kick off their tours, while the Killers debut new tunes. Plus, 2009 is already looking like an ace year for music.
No doubt about it, this week belonged to newly-minted President-Elect Barack Obama. But that doesn’t mean the music world lay dormant: Fall Out Boy, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Decemberists all kicked off their respective U.S. tours, while the Killers treated fans to new tracks in London. Meanwhile, several artists — including Amy Winehouse and Yeah Yeah Yeahs — unveiled plans for records in 2009.
Below, check out these stories plus the week’s best MP3s, reviews, and more.
- Fall Out Boy Off-Key at Tour Opener
The rusty pop-punk quartet struggle with their warm-up set at an intimate Boston club. READ>>
- The Killers Debut New Songs in London
The Las Vegas foursome mix their hits with five tunes off their upcoming album, Day & Age. Read our review. READ>>
- Smashing Pumpkins Kick Off 20th Anniversary Tour
The reunited alt-rock legends skip fan faves and dedicate a song to “MILF” Sarah Palin at Cleveland tour opener. READ>>
- The Decemberists Debut New Tunes at Tour Opener
With supporting act Loch Lomond in tow, Colin Meloy and Co. kick off their U.S. jaunt in New York City. READ>>
- Amy Winehouse Records New Songs
The troubled nightingale’s follow-up to Back to Black is coming along — and apparently the demos are great! Click here for details. READ>>
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs: “New Album Very Different”
See what Karen O and crew have to say about their next release — and find out when to expect it. READ>>
- Next Arctic Monkeys Album Coming Soon!
The Brit-pop wunderkinds are almost finished with their third record. Click here for details! READ>>
- New Bruce Springsteen Album!
The rock’n’roll legend is reportedly working on the follow-up to Magic. Click here for details! >>READ
- Lost in the ‘Twilight’ Zone
Edward may be a marble god of a vampire, but, geesh, can’t somebody write him a decent pickup line? By SPIN’s Phoebe Reilly. READ>>
- The Sorry State of Reunions
GN’R, Smashing Pumpkins, the Jackson Five, and Led Zeppelin are four major offenders, says SPIN’s Abigail Everdell. READ>>
- SPIN.com’s Presidential Playlists!
Get ready America! SPIN’s Ellen Carpenter picks the best songs for an Obama — or McCain — inauguration. READ>>
- Paramore Premiere ‘Twilight’ SongVideo!
Click here to watch “Decode,” the pop-punk band’s contribution to the Twilight soundtrack. READ>>
- Watch Smashing Pumpkins Play Unreleased Song
In the studio: Billy Corgan and band perform the eight-minute, acoustic “99 Floors.” READ>>
- Stream Leona Naess’ Stirring Duet with Ryan Adams
Hear the once-engaged couple revisit long lost chemistry on “Leave Your Boyfriends.” READ>>
- New Video: Kings of Leon, “Use Somebody”
The Southern kin show the melancholy side of touring in this clip for the latest single from Only By the Night. READ>>
- Little Joy, Little Joy (Rough Trade) READ>>
- Q-Tip, The Renaissance (Universal Motown) READ>>
- Dragonette, Galore (I Surender) READ>>
- Wild Beasts, Limbo, Panto (Domino) READ>>/a>
PLUS: The best of last week.