Missing Monuments is the latest project from King Louie Bankston, a garage and power-pop landmark whose resume includes a stint in the Exploding Hearts and time spent playing alongside Jay Reatard. The Louisiana foursome issued their full-length debut, Painted White, in 2011, and on July 30, they'll drop their self-titled sophomore effort, a hook-stuffed LP that proudly wears its heart on its leather jacket sleeve.
"I think people are going to think this is a fun record," Bankston says. "I think people who know me, like my peers and my friends, I think they're going to say, 'Louie made a fun record,' because sometimes I don't make fun records. Sometimes I make really sad, fucked up records. I think when they hear 'Superhero,' they're going to say, 'Hey, Louie's happy right now.' When they hear 'Heart and Soul,' they're going to say, 'Yeah, he's remembering stuff from 1987, but he's moving on because he's just turned 40. I think when they hear 'Grizzly Star' it's going to be like smoking a doob and driving in your first car to make out with some chick or something. I think it's a fun record, but I think it has the meat and potatoes of everything I've done before, too."
Hear the full 11-track collection — the bulk of which was recorded over the course of a single night and into the following afternoon — below.
- Missing Monuments — Answer the Call
- Missing Monuments — Steelin Time
- Missing Monuments — Another Girl
- Missing Monuments — Dead To Me
- Missing Monuments — Grizzly Star
- Missing Monuments — Super Hero
- Missing Monuments — Tru Luv
- Missing Monuments — Crash Landing
- Missing Monuments — I Dont Share
- Missing Monuments — Go Away
- Missing Monuments — Heart and Soul