Lightning Rod Records is celebrating the 40th anniversary of legendary country outfit Alabama with High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama, a 14-track compilation featuring covers of some of the Southern icons' best-known hits and lesser-heard album cuts. The upcoming tribute LP features contributions from Lucero, Blind Boys of Alabama, JD McPherson, Old Crow Medicine Show, and more. Jason Isbell and John Paul White shared their take on Alabama's 1981 single "Old Flame" last month (via Paste), and now we have Jessica Lea Mayfield's slowcore interpretation of 1992's "I'm in a Hurry (and Don't Know Why)." The Ohio singer-songwriter, who earned a "Next Big Thing" tag from SPIN in early 2011, transforms the American Pride original from a rollicking reminder to live in the moment into a crawling realization that no one can outrun the passage of time.
High Cotton: A Tribute to Alabama track list:
1. JD McPherson - "Why Lady Why"
2. Old Crow Medicine Show - "Dixieland Delight"
3. Turnpike Troubadours - "If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band)"
4. Jason Isbell and John Paul White - "Old Flame"
5. T. Hardy Morris - "High Cotton"
6. Amanda Shires - "I Can't Love You Any Less"
7. Jessica Lea Mayfield - "I'm in a Hurry (and Don't Know Why)"
8. Bob Schneider and Texas Bluegrass Massacre with Ray Benson - "Lady Down on Love"
9. Shonna Tucker - "Roll On (Eighteen Wheeler)"
10. Lucero - "The Closer You Get"
12. Todd Snider and Elizabeth Cook - "Feels So Right"
12. Wade Bowen and Brandy Clark - "Love in the First Degree"
13. Jason Boland and the Stragglers - "Mountain Music"
14. Blind Boys of Alabama - "Christmas in Dixie"