Skip to content

22 Confirmed Dead at Ariana Grande Concert in Manchester, England [UPDATING]

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Police stand by a cordoned off street close to the Manchester Arena on May 22, 2017 in Manchester, England. There have been reports of explosions at Manchester Arena where Ariana Grande had performed this evening. Greater Manchester Police have have confirmed there are fatalities and warned people to stay away from the area. (Photo by Dave Thompson/Getty Images)

Local police have confirmed fatalities after an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England. According to the Greater Manchester Police, at least 22 people are confirmed dead, and “around 50” are injured.

According to the Guardian, attendees reported hearing a loud bang near Manchester Arena, where Grande was performing a date on her European tour. Another eyewitness told the BBC the explosion sent victims flying as far as 30 feet. According to a statement from Manchester Arena, the incident took place in a public area outside the arena itself:

Grande’s publicist told the New York Times that the singer was unhurt. Police have not yet confirmed the source of the incident, but referred to it as “an explosion.” Reports from attendees referred to the noise as akin to a bomb or gunshots. The video below posted to Twitter shows chaos inside the arena.

UPDATE (8:10 p.m.): The latest statement from the Greater Manchester Police confirms 19 people dead and “around 50” injured in an incident described as “an explosion.”

UPDATE (9 p.m.): “We are deeply saddened by this senseless tragedy and our hearts and thoughts are with those impacted by this devastating incident,” concert promoter Live Nation said in a statement to Billboard. Separately, Manchester Police carried out a controlled detonation of a package that turned out to be “abandoned clothing, not a suspicious item.”

UPDATE (9:30 p.m.): U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May acknowledged tonight’s events in a statement:

We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack. All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected.

Hip-hop artist BIA (a.k.a. Bianca Landrau), who is on tour with Grande, tweeted condolences:

UPDATE (10:23 pm): A video filmed inside the arena after the concert ended appears to show the exact moment of the explosion.

UPDATE (11:21 pm): Ariana Grande has posted a brief statement on Twitter, describing herself as “broken” after the deadly explosion.

UPDATE (8:06 a.m., 5/23): Police believe the attack, the death toll from which now stands at 22, was most likely a suicide attack carried out by one man. A 23-year-old man was arrested in connection with the attack, though his alleged role remains unclear. The first victim was also identified as Georgina Callander, an 18-year-old health and social care student at Runshaw College.

UPDATE (12:31 pm, 5/23): Greater Manchester Police’s Chief Constable Ian Hopkins has identified the attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi. CBS News reports that Abedi was known to British authorities before to the attack.

We’ll have more on this story as it develops.