Teen Death at London Nightclub Fabric Ruled an MDMA Overdose

LONDON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 07: A man walks past Fabric nightclub following the announcement of its closure on September 7, 2016 in London, England. Fabric, which opened in 1999 and was voted World Number 1 Club in DJ Magazine's "Top 100 Clubs Poll" in 2007 and 2008, has had its licence revoked by Islington council, a decision that has been condemned across the political spectrum. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

Jack Crossley, the 18-year-old whose death lead to the temporary closure of London club Fabric, took a high dose of MDMA that led to a fatal heart attack, according to an inquest. The Guardian reports that he had 2.2 micrograms of MDMA per milliliter of blood, more than enough to induce a fatal reaction. The doctor who treated Crossley at the hospital said his temperature was “unrecordably high” after being admitted.

Crossley, who passed away on August 6, was the second teenager to die after visiting Fabric that summer. (The first, 18-year old Ryan Browne, died on June 25 after taking MDMA at the venue.) The fatalities cost the famed nightclub its license last September after a council deemed it “inadequate and in breach of the licensing conditions.”

After a public outcry and an appeal, Fabric’s owners and Islington Borough Council reached a settlement that allowed the club to reopen. The new agreement bars anyone under 19 years old from entering the club, and patrons with drugs on their person will be banned for life. The Guardian says the club will reopen this weekend.

IMPACT

you may like

Scroll to Top