New Music: Captain Cuts – The Life of Emo
Ten years ago, pop punk was all the rage, with albums like My Chemical Romance’s The Black Parade topping the charts. Though this brand of MySpace emo has evolved into something less rooted in angsty lifestyle aesthetics, The Life of Emo, the latest mixtape from L.A.-based DJ crew Captain Cuts (Ben Berger, Ryan McMahon and Ryan Rabin) embraces their scene nostalgia, revisiting some of the most popular bands from the ’00s and mashing them up with current pop artists.
The Life of Emo is a follow up to last year’s If You’re Listening It’s Never Too Late, their first emo-pop mixtape. Their latest release dynamically pairs artists that are both hilarious and unexpected, drawing on the vocals of pop punk bands like Blink 182 and Panic! at the Disco and seamlessly setting them to beats from modern names in pop and EDM for an impossibly catchy set.
Listen to the mixtape and check out the tracklist and art below.
1. “This Is Your Captain Speaking”
2. “Taste Of San Holo” (The Used x San Holo + Dr Dre)
3. “Feeling U There” (Blink 182 x Jack U)
4. “MakeDamnPanda” (Taking Back Sunday x Desiigner x Rae Sremmurd x Billboard x Martin Garrix + Bebe Rexha)
5. “We Rise Fr The Mmrs” (Fall Out Boy x San Holo)
6. “Basket Quartzz” (Green Day x KRNE)
7. “Best Of Gold Centuries” (The Starting Line x Kiiara x Fall Out Boy x Lido)
8. “Starboy Transit Gloria” (Brand New x The Weeknd x Krewella)
9. “I Write Divinity” (Panic At The Disco x Jai Wolf x Porter Robinson x Jay Z)
10. “What’s My Closer Again?” (Blink 182 x The Chainsmokers + Justin Caruso x K?D + Daft Punk)
11. “Home On Ocean Avenue” (Yellowcard x Madeon)
12. “Ain’t Love Like Roses In Hell?” (All American Rejects x The Chainsmokers x Grey + Hailee Steinfeld + Zedd x Paramore x Captain Cuts)
13. “My Own Worst Alarm In The Hills” (Lit x Matoma x The Weeknd)
14. “In Too Seeb” (Sum 41 x Coldplay + Seeb)
15. “So Long And Greenlight” (My Chemical Romance x Pitbull + Lunchmoney Lewis x The Chainsmokers + The Him x The Beatles)