SPIN Is Hiring
We are hiring a Managing Editor and Staff Writer to join our New York City team.
SPIN’s best writing has always been informed by obsessive music fandom, politics, race, class disparity, industry innovation (or stupidity), emerging regional scenes, and exploring the subcultures that result from a combination of all the above. In the coming months, we will focus on treating music with less pretension and more reporting. (We will also be expanding to cover culture more broadly.) People who are bloggy and incisive, and who know when to pick up the phone and report, will do great here.
You can find the open jobs and their requirements below. To be considered, applicants should send a résumé, five clips that best represent their recent work, and a short note on why they’d be a great fit for this position to [email protected]. Please list the position for which you are applying in the subject line when emailing.
SPIN is seeking a Managing Editor to assist in the daily functions of the site, including assigning/editing news and keeping track of progress on upcoming deadlines, packages, and features. This position will work closely with the EIC and other editors to helm the direction of the site, and will be responsible for daily editing, writing, and administrative tasks. We are looking for someone who can start immediately.
The ideal candidate will:
- have at least 2-3 years of experience working at a music or culture publication
- thrive while juggling multiple stories // be of a patient disposition
- have a keen sense of what makes a story worth covering, and approach daily writing with a critical, incisive voice
- be extremely organized, task-oriented, and willing to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment
- be eager to write news-pegged items and reported stories when not editing
SPIN is seeking a sharp, self-motivated writer who is comfortable writing daily news posts, as well as second-day opinion pieces, reviews, and longer reported stories. The writer will work closely with other staff writers and be encouraged to “own” a beat or helm a series/column of their own creation. We are looking for someone to start immediately.
The ideal candidate will:
- have at least 2 years of experience writing for a music or culture publication
- be a music-obsessive with an ear to the ground on topics like film, TV, politics, social justice, and emerging regional scenes
- have keen sense of what makes a story worth covering, and approach daily writing with an incisive, conversational voice
- be self-motivated, task-oriented, and willing to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment
- be comfortable with (or eager to learn) reporting databases like Nexis
We will be reviewing applications over the next month–this post will be updated when the positions have been filled.