Kacey Musgraves‘ music was already “practically perfect in every way” (fellow Disney nerds, what’s good?), but now the country star’s been tasked with covering the Mary Poppins classic “A Spoonful of Sugar” for the upcoming We Love Disney compilation. Out on October 30 via Verve and Walt Disney Records, the album features Jessie Ware, Gwen Stefani, Ariana Grande, Jason Derulo, and more big name singers covering timeless songs from the House of Mouse, produced by the Grammy-winning David Foster.
But back to Musgraves’ “A Spoonful of Sugar” which, fans will be happy to know, spins the lovely, lilting original on its head and threads it with a healthy heaping of charm, western spark, and box-stepping vigor. Truly, we’re incapable of describing how good this cover is; it justifies a Toy Story sequel brimming with original songs by Musgraves and her band, a movie that Disney should really greenlight immediately.
The Pageant Material singer told SPIN all about her cover in June during a day-long chat in Delaware. “It’s kind of this really fun western swing, like very Disney,” she said. “There’s bird whistling and it’s so fun. It was one of the funnest things. I do love getting outside of my world and stepping into a challenge like that. Especially if it is like a whimsical, larger-than-life kind of thing. I really actually love the music of Toy Story, especially the first one. Those are the songs that I feel like… they’re the type of songs that are just engrained in you since you were a kid and you can’t help but associate them with nothing but fun. Also there’s something very classic about those songs. They weren’t written to appease today’s generation or the next one. They’re just the songs.”
Preorder We Love Disney here if “Spoonful of Sugar” has you craving more.
We Love Disney track list:
1. “Friend Like Me,” NE-YO (from Aladdin)
2. “Part of Your World,“ Jessie J (from The Little Mermaid)
3. “Can You Feel the Love Tonight / Nants’ Ingonyama,” Jason Derulo (from The Lion King)
4. “The Rainbow Connection,” Gwen Stefani (from The Muppet Movie)
5. “Zero To Hero,” Ariana Grande (from Hercules)
6. “In a World of My Own/Very Good Advice,” Jhené Aiko (from Alice in Wonderland)
7. “I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song),” Fall Out Boy (from The Jungle Book)
8. “Colors of the Wind,” Tori Kelly (from Pocahontas)
9. “A Spoonful of Sugar,” Kacey Musgraves (from Mary Poppins)
10. “Ev’rybody Wants To Be a Cat,” Charles Perry (from The Aristocats)
11. “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes,” Jessie Ware (from Cinderella)
12. “Let It Go,” Lucy Hale & Rascal Flatts (from Frozen)
13. “It’s a Small World,” Various Artists
You can enjoy this playlist on the go! Download MixRadio for free here