Various Artists, ‘Phil Spector Presents the 
Philles Album Collection’ (Phil Spector Records/Legacy)

Legendary Wall of Sound producer Phil Spector only recorded one good full-length: A Christmas Gift for You. His other albums are collected here on seven discs. Maybe the hope is to trap young people nostalgic for what they imagine to be the originals’ integrity. Maybe it’s to trap boomers who forgot that 15 percent of the originals were foggy, ever-blossoming fantasias like “Be My Baby” and the other 85 percent were packing peanuts like the Ronettes’ “Hot Pastrami.”


Scroll to Top