The first-ever “greatest hits”-style compilation of Elliott Smith’s music, An Introduction…, will arrive November 2, and includes 14 tracks, culled from each of the late artist’s seven albums.
Intended as a sampler of the rest of Smith’s catalog, the album contains obvious entries — the Academy Award-nominated “Miss Misery,” “Say Yes” from Either/Or (No. 48 on SPIN’s 125 Best Albums of the Past 25 Years list) — and some deeper cuts, like “Last Call,” off his 1994 debut, Roman Candle.
Unfortunately, his two DreamWorks releases — 1998’s XO and 2000’s Figure 8 — are barely represented, with just one song appearing from each.
Kill Rock Stars is releasing An Introduction…, and they’ve also been reissuing albums from Smith’s catalog in recent years, and unearthing unreleased material from Smith’s past, like “Cecilia/Amanda,” a 1997 recording which you can download here.
Here’s the full tracklisting from An Introduction…:
1 Ballad of Big Nothing (Either/Or)
2. Waltz #2 (XO)
3. Pictures of Me (Either/Or)
4. The Biggest Lie (Elliott Smith)
5. Alameda (Either/Or)
6. Between The Bars (Either/Or)
7. Needle in the Hay (Elliott Smith)
8. Last Call (Roman Candle)
9. Angles (Either/Or)
10. Twilight (From a Basement on the Hill)
11.Pretty (Ugly Before) (From a Basement on the Hill)
12. Angel In the Snow (New Moon)
13. Miss Misery (early version) (New Moon)
14. Happiness (single version) (Figure 8)