SPIN’s Week in Review, June 16-20
What we learned this week: Kanye West's fans have lost patience. Web surfers love both Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy and the album's hilarious fake review by Chuck Klosterman. And much more.
From Pearl Jam’s landmark set at Bonnaroo ’08 to Coldplay’s free London gig, it was certainly a long week. And much was learned, with lessons coming from Kanye West and his disappointed fan base, a reported leak of Guns N’ Roses’ long-in-the-coming album Chinese Democracy, the Fratellis’ Stand at West Hollywood’s Key Club, and many more. Here’s a rundown:
Here’s what we learned from Kanye West: “Evan, a Bonnaroo concertgoer addressing West: “It was the biggest disappointment of the entire Bonnaroo concert.” West, whose headlining set was a bit of a nuisance from the beginning, fails to hit the stage until 4:45 A.M., two hours after its rescheduled time of 2:45 A.M.. Check out video of fans’ reactions here.
What we learned from the leak of Guns N’ Roses’ Chinese Democracy: “Nine ‘mastered’ tracks from Axl Rose’s long-in-the-making set ‘Chinese Democracy’ reportedly leak. Odd, considering we reviewed the album three years ago. Okay, not really.” Despite the lengthy wait, fan anticipation behind Rose’s opus has yet to dwindle, as have the laughs incited by Chuck Klosterman’s April Fool’s review of Chinese Democracy. Read the review here.
More highlights from this week…
BONNAROO ’08 VIDEO:
– Pearl Jam Wraps Historic Set “Three-hour marathon includes first performance of “W.M.A.” in 13 years, covers, and much more.”
– Metallica Rocks Bonnaroo “It’s a damp, rainy night here in Tennessee, but that’s not stopping 60,000 people from watching Metallica rip it up. Check out a little video clip from the show to whet your whistle!”
– Live Review: The Raconteurs “Jack, Brendan, Little Jack, and Patrick own Bonnaroo’s main stage.”
– Live Performance: Matt Morris, “Un-American” “He may have been a Mouseketeer with Justin Timberlake, but he’s piquing more than Mickey’s ears these days.”
– Live Performance: The Felice Brothers, “Whiskey in My Whiskey” “The Upstate New York outfit strum through the rollicking, country-tinged new tune backstage for SPIN.com.”
– Video Interview: Drive-By Truckers “Patterson Hood drops in to answer fan questions and talk about his band’s third Bonnaroo.”
MORE LIVE REVIEWS:
– Coldplay Launch ‘La Vida’ Live in London “The world’s biggest band begin the first of three free shows around the world in support of Viva La Vida, out today in the U.S.”
– Fratellis Take a ‘Stand’ at Spin’s Ruby Concert Series “With a spot-on set at West Hollywood’s Key Club, the Scot trio open the second season of Spin’s music showcase event, presented in partnership with adidas Originals and Citi Private Pass.”