With a mind boggling website post, it seems the White Stripes are attempting to morph a population of rockers into well-studied semantics scholars. As previously reported (read more), Jack and Meg White have leaked details, including a complete tracklisting, for their forthcoming album Icky Thump to the band’s official site, and now, mysterious and baffling descriptions, or haikus if you will, have popped up alongside the song titles. In addition, a giant crossword type word puzzle reigns atop the webpage, possibly as a key to deciphering the covert meaning of Icky Thumb, or possibly as the focus of an elaborate prank.
The perplexing post reads:
1. “Icky Thump” — Well, you can’t be a pimp and a prostitute too.
2. “You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told)” — In some respects I suspect you’ve got a respectable side.
3. “300 M.P.H Torrential Outpour Blues” — Sooner or later the ground’s gonna be holding all of my ashes too.
4. “Conquest” — The hunted became the huntress, the hunter became the prey.
5. “Bone Broken” — They got a white pony in a stable and ride him when the doggie isn’t able.
6. “Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn” — The silver birches pierce through an icy fog, which covers the ground most daily.
7. “St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)” — I’m looking upwards, who is here to greet me?
8. “Little Cream Soda” — Well, every highway that I go down seems to be longer than the last one that I knew about, oh well.
9. “Rag And Bone” — Bring out your junk and we’ll give it a home.
10. “I’m Slowly Turning Into You” — I dig your little laugh and I’m loving your quick wit.
11. “A Martyr For My Love For You” — Maybe these ruby shoes are a little cumbersome for you.
12. “Catch Hell Blues” — If you’re looking for hot water, don’t be shocked when you get burned a little bit.
13. “Effect And Cause” — First you cause a train wreck, then you put me in traction?
On the Web:
Talk: Can you decipher the scripts? What do they say?