Twin Shadow joins the growing list of artists paying tribute to the late, great Lou Reed. The man born George Lewis, Jr., has in fact been on a covers streak of late, recording versions of Tori Amos' "Silent All These Years," Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire," and 10cc's "Not in Love." The video for his remake of "Perfect Day," the sweet song from Reed's 1972 album Transformer, is similarly directed, finding Lewis in an intimate space with just a microphone in front of him and a piano over his shoulder. It's a lovely, worthwhile version, much like recent tributes by Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, and Arctic Monkeys.
For more dedications to Lou Reed, read the following SPIN exclusives:
- Toesucker Blues: Robert Christgau's Farewell Salute to Lou Reed
- Dave Hickey on Lou Reed: 'We Have Lost the Master of the Mundane and the Malicious
- The Little Giant: Actor/Director John Cameron Mitchell Remembers His Neighbor, Lou Reed
- Lou Reed, R.I.P.: Hear His Legacy in 15 Tracks
- Five Great Rap Songs That Sample Lou Reed or the Velvet Underground