Thursday’s Music Roundup
CONTINUALLY UPDATED: All you need to know about music today -- plus songs and videos.
[Updated: 5:36 P.M.]
- It’s Official: PAVEMENT Perform in 2010
First announced show is Sept. 21, 2010, in Central Park, but their live dates aren’t a “prelude to…a permanent reunion.” [SPIN]
- Former President JIMMY CARTER Scolds KANYE for VMA Stunt
Carter jokes that ‘Ye’s punishment was “appearing on Leno show.” [CNN]
- The Dream PAVEMENT Set List
SPIN editors select the songs we hope to hear when the indie legends reunite for live gigs next year. [SPIN]
- REGINA SPEKTOR to Write Music for Broadway Play
New York songstress to pen tunes for new version of The Sleeping Beauty. [NME]
- MADONNA and JANET JACKSON to Collaborate?
The singers meet over dinner in NYC to plan “something very interesting.” [Gigwise]
- SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE Play Secret Reunion Show!
Emo band play small Tacoma, WA, bar in advance of tour. [The Stranger]
- MARY TRAVERS of PETER, PAUL AND MARY Dies
“Puff the Magic Dragon” singer succumbs to leukemia. She was 72. [Spinner]
- MOBY Expands North American Tour
New York’s dancing vegan will support his new album Wait For Me into late October. [NME]
- SMASHING PUMPKINS Announce Free 44-Track Album!
Billy Corgan details his Tarot Card-inspired record in a new blog post. [SPIN]
- PINK Gets Wet in Seattle Tour Kickoff
Pop diva kicks off her tour with a warning to Kanye, classic rock covers, and a big vat of goo. [SPIN]
- REPORT: PAVEMENT Announce Reunion!
Sources say the indie band will play NYC’s summer stage and Coachella in 2010. [BrooklynVegan]
- BEASTIE BOYS: Rarities, Bonus Songs on ‘Hello Nasty’ Reissue
Trio unearth 10 never-before-heard tracks for a deluxe repackaging of their 1998 classic. [SPIN]
- CHRIS BROWN Begins Community Labor
Brown’s new website shows photos of the R&B singer at work. [MTV]
MP3s & VIDEOS:
- WATCH: KINGS OF CONVENIENCE’s New Video
Norwegian duo pick up hitchhikers in a car cruising with a boat behind it! [Stereogum]
- WATCH: FLAMING LIPS Play New Song on ‘Colbert’
Oklahoma band get dark, psychedelic with “Convinced of the Hex.”[Colbert Nation]
- DOWNLOAD: ATLAS SOUND Covers EVERLY BROTHERS
Bradford Cox sings the 1950s duo’s “So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad).” [Aquarium Drunkard]
- DOWNLOAD: Awesome Metal from CONVERGE!
These seasoned Boston rockers redefine heavy with a song off their upcoming album. [SPIN]
- WATCH: METALLICA Perform with MOTORHEAD’s Lemmy Kilmister
Rockers perform two Motorhead classics: “Damage Case” and “Too Late Too Late.” [Blabbermouth]