Last week, SPIN released a tribute album commemorating the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind. But 2011 is the 10th anniversary of several great records, including the Strokes' debut, Is This It? -- and the folks over at Stereogum have compiled their collection of covers honoring that landmark release. Download Stroked: A Tribute To 'Is This It?' for free on their website.
Is This It? -- which ranks at No. 18 on SPIN's 125 Best Albums list -- never hit No. 1 on the charts like Nevermind did, but it reached No. 33 at a time when the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears ruled the world.
Our faves from the the Stereogum tribute include a fairly faithful take on the title track by Peter Bjorn & John, a cosmic, chilled out jam by Real Estate on "Barely Legal," the Morning Benders' delightfully mellow spin on "Last Nite," and rapper Heems of Das Racist turning "New York City" into an hip-hop exposé on police brutality.
1. Peter Bjorn & John, "Is This It"
2. Chelsea Wolfe, "The Modern Age"
3. Frankie Rose, "Soma"
4. Real Estate, "Barely Legal"
5. Wise Blood, "Someday"
6. Austra, "Alone, Together"
7. the morning benders, "Last Nite"
8. Owen Pallett, "Hard to Explain"
9. Heems, "New York City Cops"
10. Deradoorian, "Trying Your Luck"
11. Computer Magic, "Take It Or Leave It"