Nirvana's landmark 1993 album In Utero turns 20 this September, which means the inevitable reissue is on the way. The upcoming retrospective was officially announced Wednesday (July 10) by way of an old commercial. As seen above, the 1993 promo clip features the legendary band's three members — Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic, and frequent SPIN cover star Dave Grohl — getting birthing lessons from comedian Bobcat Goldthwait, who's dressed in drag and urging the guys to push harder. (Side note: Goldthwait also opened for Nirvana during their fall '93 tour.)
Aside from a general drop date of September 2013, no real details on the In Utero re-release have been confirmed yet. In 2011, Nirvana's classic second album, 1991's Nevermind, was repackaged for a 20th anniversary deluxe edition that collected B-sides, rarities, and alternate mixes, as well as live recordings and footage. No doubt something similar is in store for this soon-to-be-in-stores set. We'll keep ya posted.
In the meantime, check out SPIN's extensive Nirvana coverage, dating back to 1992:
- What Nevermind Means to Me, featuring Eddie Vedder, Wayne Coyne, Dave Grohl
- Kurt Cobain Scrapbook, collecting images of Kurt through the years
- Eight Myths About Nevermind, in which biographer Charles R. Cross settles bets
- Heaven Can't Wait, SPIN's January 1992 Nirvana cover story
- Smashing Their Heads on the Punk Rock, SPIN's October 1993 Nirvana cover story
- Grunge's European Invasion: Intimate Photos From Nirvana's 1989 Tour
- "Experiencing Nirvana": Sub Pop Co-Founder Revisits Defining 1989 Tour
- "Weird Al" Yankovic Looks Back at 20 Years of "Smells Like Nirvana"
- Blame Nirvana: The 40 Weirdest Post-'Nevermind' Major-Label Albums