If the opening night of Metallica's world tour in Glendale, AZ, Tuesday was any indication, rock's not dead. Check its pulse, and you'll hear the double-bass drumming of Lars Ulrich.
The over-the-top arena show is alive and kicking, too. Metallica's props included eight silver coffins (each the size of a car) that hovered above the band, a laser show, a dozen multi-colored flames shooting from effects boxes, giant fireballs coming up from the stage, and tons of flashing red strobe lights.
The quartet's set included a little bit of everything. They opened with two songs from Death Magnetic, "That Was Just Your Life" and "The End of the Line," followed by a double dose of "Black" album songs, "Sad But True" and "Wherever I May Roam."
Fresh from a summer of festival appearances, the members of Metallica brimmed with energy. The stage was set up in the center of the arena, with microphones placed all around it, so everyone in the audience had a premium view at some point.
An hour into the set, Metallica had played four tracks from the new album, as well as "One" and "Until It Sleeps," the band's only top 10 Billboard single.
But the audience wanted to hear more classic Metallica, and they got it during the second hour, as the band ripped through "The Four Horsemen," "Master of Puppets," and "Fight Fire with Fire."
The set closed with a fist-pumping rendition of "Enter Sandman," topped off by three encores, including "Seek & Destroy." A cascade of black Metallica beach balls then came bouncing down from the rafters into the crowd -- as if two hours of spectacular showmanship and air-tight musicianship weren't enough.
1. "That Was Just Your Life" (Death Magnetic)
2. "The End of the Line" (Death Magnetic)
3. "Sad But True" (The "Black" album)
4. "Wherever I May Roam" (The "Black" album)
5. "One" (...And Justice for All)
6. "Broken, Beat & Scarred" (Death Magnetic)
7. "Cyanide" (Death Magnetic)
8. "Frantic" (St. Anger)
9. "Until It Sleeps" (Load)
10. "The Four Horsemen" (Kill 'Em All)
11. "The Day That Never Comes" (Death Magnetic)
12. "Master of Puppets" (Master of Puppets)
13. "Fight Fire with Fire" (Ride the Lightning)
14. "Nothing Else Matters" (The "Black" album)
15. "Enter Sandman" (The "Black" album)
Encore 1: "Last Caress" (Garage Days Re-Revisited)
Encore 2: "So What" (Garage Inc.)
Encore 3: "Seek & Destroy"(Kill 'Em All)