Right now, Kanye West is likely pretty happy he's not dead while parsing whether or not he actually is stronger. After all, when he "stole" the line, "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" — from 19th Century German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche — for his 2007 song "Stronger," he likely didn't expect to get sued by songwriter Vincent Peters, who thought he invented the maxim… or just that he thought of using it first. As reported by AllHipHop , a judge presiding over the suit recently ruled in West's favor.
"Although the fact that both songs quote from a 19th century German philosopher might, at first blush, seem to be an unusual coincidence," Judge Diane Wood reportedly said, "West correctly notes that the aphorism has been repeatedly invoked in song lyrics over the past century." Her ruling went on to say, "We are not persuaded that the similarities alleged by Vince P rise to the level of copyright infringement."
With that, here are 15 other songs (by 14 artists!) that have used Nietzsche's aphorism over the years, just sitting there awaiting a lawsuit:
• Kelly Clarkson, "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)" (2011): "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
• Ed Sheeran, "Drunk" (2011): "What didn't kill me/It never made me stronger at all"
• Melanie C, "Weak" (2011): "Everyone else is saying, what don't kill you makes you stronger"
• Papa Roach, "Kick in the Teeth" (2010): "What doesn't kill me only, will make me stronger in my head"
• Monica, "Still Standing" (2010): "Whatever don't kill make you stronger"
• Blues Traveler, "That Which Doesn't Kill You" (2006): "That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger"
• Vanessa Hudgens, "Promise" (2006): "They say what doesn't kill you can make you strong"
• 2Pac, "Only God Can Judge Me" (released 2005): (spoken) "Powers that judge cannot kill me/but only make me stronger"
• Slipknot, "Pulse of the Maggots" (2004): "What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger"
• Eve, featuring Teena Marie, "Life Is So Hard" (2001): "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me strong"
• Blues Traveler, Opening Credits for Roseanne (1996): "If what doesn't kill us is making us stronger"
• Anthrax, "Fueled" (1995): "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger"
• Megadeth, "Skin O' My Teeth" (1992): "That that doesn't kill me/Only makes me stronger"
• Kiss, "Betrayed" (1989): "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
• Bruce Willis, If It Don't Kill You, It Just Makes You Stronger (1989) (album title)
Now, Kanye, we think it's time to watch this video again.