Last month, Jack White's Third Man Records announced a double-vinyl reissue of the White Stripes' fourth full-length pegged to Record Store Day (April 20), and now the label has unveiled a companion set that will double as the latest entry in the Vault subscriber series: a 26-track live album called Nine Miles From the White City. The 79-minute set, recorded during a July 2003 gig at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom, draws heavily from Elephant and the Stripes' other unimpeachable classic, 2001's White Blood Cells, but also features covers of Bob Dylan, Captain Beefheart, Robert Johnson, and more. Nine Miles From the White City will be packaged as a double-LP, with one disc on (of course) red vinyl and the other on white.
Subscribers will also get a 7-inch containing demos of the songs "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart" and "Little Acorns." That extra nugget will be pressed on "opaque red vinyl with black whisps." Additionally, the exclusive will come with a 56-page photo book documenting the recording of Elephant. According to a press release, only three of the photographs, which were taken by David Swanson, have been published before.
Fans can sign up for the Vault subscription series here. Anyone hoping to receive this exclusive Elephant-era package must join by April 30.
Scroll down to hear snippets of "The Hardest Button to Button" from Nine Miles From the White City and the demo version of "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart." And be sure to read Rob Harvilla's essay on the 10th anniversary of Elephant here, and revisit Chuck Klosterman's 2003 review of the album here.
Nine Miles From the White City track list:
1. "When I Hear My Name"
2. "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground"
3. "Love Sick" (Bob Dylan cover)
4. "Hotel Yorba"
6. "Cool Drink of Water Blues" (Tommy Johnson cover)
7. "The Hardest Button to Button"
8. "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Mother's Heart"
9. "Stones in My Passway" (Robert Johnson cover)
10. "Stop Breakin' Down" (Robert Johnson cover)
12. "In the Cold, Cold Night"
13. "Seven Nation Army"
14. "The Same Boy You've Always Known"
15. "Black Jack Davey"
16. "We Are Going to Be Friends"
17. "Offend in Every Way"
18. "Little Cream Soda"
19. "Cannon/Party of Special Things to Do" (Captain Beefheart cover)
20. "Candy Cane Children"
21. "The Air Near My Fingers"
22. "Screwdriver" (tease)
23. "Ball and Biscuit"
24. "Screwdriver" (reprise)
25. "Let's Build a Home"
26. "Goin' Back to Memphis" (Henry & June cover)