This article originally appeared in the November 2009 issue of SPIN. In light of the tragic death of GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus, a.k.a. Dave Brockie, we've pulled this piece from the SPIN archives.
Joining forces in 1984, the alien beasts in GWAR have spent their career assaulting audiences with gallons of fake blood and weirdly catchy thrash metal. They are celebrating their 25th anniversary with a spew of releases, including a coffee-table book, box set, and the new studio album Lust in Space (Metal Blade), which debuted at No. 96 on Billboard's Top 200 — the band's highest-ever chart position. "No. 1 is good," says singer Oderus Urungus (born Dave Brockie), but "96 seems more GWAR."
From the bowels of Antarctica (which looks a lot like Richmond, Virginia), GWAR's Oderus Urungus invites us into his Slave Pit:
1. Photo: "This is a family shot of GWAR's Hans Orifice, Stephen Sphincter, Cornelius Carnage, and Joey Slutman outside the first Slave Pit, in Richmond. Now we have these Slave Pits scattered around the world, and local art students help make our gigantic hulking war machines."
2. Television set: "I like to watch myself on Fox News' Red Eye. I have a gig as intergalactic correspondent. They had me on the show, and I apparently was so fucking funny that they invited me back, and they were very much amazed that I didn't eat the other guests."
3. Severed head: "Over the years, a lot of politicians have tried to get into GWAR. Dick Cheney did it by donating his head, which is always fun to bring out at parties."
4. Hannah Montana collectibles: "Balsac [GWAR's rhythm guitarist] has a fascination with Hannah Montana. He tried to get me riled up by giving me this Hannah Montana shit."
5. Trolls: "One of my slaves makes these concrete trolls. They're available through GWAR's Slave Pit merchandise department. I can't guarantee that they won't come back to life at any moment and murder the entire family, but they look great in the garden."
6. Insane Clown Posse water bottle: "GWAR went out to the Gathering of the Juggalos this year and played an amazing show. We have a lot in common with Insane Clown Posse in that we're both awesome bands who smear shit all over our faces and are completely despised by the industry that spawned us."
7. GWAR comics: "These are the wonderful Slave Pit Funnies. These artists [past and present members Matt Maguire, Hunter Jackson, Bob Gorman, and Don Drakulich], excuse me, slaves, drew them."
8. Campaign poster: "This is a memento from [2004's] War Party album, which we put out when we were getting ready to re-elect Bush. GWAR supported the Republicans because, you know, they seem to support a lot of things that GWAR are about: disease, starvation, and war."
9. Carrot Top pictures: "Carrot Top has actually invited us to open for him at his Vegas club show. I think he'll be making an appearance with us at a GWAR show — and getting his ass kicked."
10. Dog: "Pookie is my pet, my best friend, my lover, and my necrotic companion. I've had her ever since our very first album [1988's Hell-O]."