Deadmau5 and Madonna Fight and Reconcile in 24 Hours
Queen of Pop's first trip to Twitter turns into public apology zone
Another day, another celeb spat birthed and ended over the Internet. This weekend, as SPIN reported yesterday, Madonna made a surprise appearance at Ultra Music Fest in Miami (see our best pictures!) and proceeded to ask the crowd, “Have you seen Molly?” in an apparent reference to MDMA (a.k.a. Ecstasy, a.k.a. “molly”) and her sneaky suggestive album title, MDNA. Fans ate it up, but there was at least one person not happy with the mention: EDM’s grumpy king, Deadmau5. Here’s how the dispute went down:
- 10:00 a.m.: Deadmau5, a.k.a. Joel Zimmerman, writes a disgruntled rant (not unlike the one he penned recently about the artistic integrity of club pop) on his Tumblr about Madge’s moral responsibility to her fans, calling her (on Twitter) a “fucking idiot” and proclaiming that he, himself, is “pro-responsibility,” not “pro-drug” (or anti-, he notes). The crux of his 801-word essay: “Now, weve taken EDM so far in the past decade, so goddamned far. It really hurts me to see rampant ADVOCATION of extreme bullshit lifestyles to a genre that spans pretty much any age gap these days. Of course, ill always have my opinions about this or that… and yeah, its my personal choice not to do drugs, but im not on a fucking crusade to stamp out other peoples personal choices by no means. fuck being a crusader. Im not pro, or anti drug… but… ill easily let you know that im pro-responsibility…”
- 11:02 p.m.: Madonna seems to ignore his steaming. But she’s also making her first foray into Twitter, a one-night-only appearance on the microblogging site to answer fans’ questions in a live chat via the account @MadonnaMDNADay. She responds to his outrage, with this cute lil JPEG depicting herself in Mickey Mouse ears stating she doesn’t support drug use and was merely making a reference a song called, you guessed it, “Have You Seen Molly?”
- 11:05 p.m.:A Twitter conversation between the two ensues throughout the live tweet-chat, with Deadmau5 giving props to Madge for “clearing it up personally” and Madge patting him on the head and reminding him that he started the beef rather impersonally on his Tumblr. It seemed okay, though, considering the Queen of Pop is after all, far more experienced in these matters. Deadmau5 promises to “watch his mouth” if Madge will get with the EDM program.
- 11:12 p.m.: Deadmau5 officially tells everyone they can stop looking at them now, that the beef is over (in less than 24 hours!).
- 1:00 a.m.: Madonna must have the last word, though, and officially officially ends it, with a creepy photo of her broken finger (should Deadmau5 really trust a “broken pinky swear”? Sounds metaphorically questionable).
The lesson of this little celebrity morality play? Just don’t take drugs.