Best Coast, MGMT Cover Fleetwood Mac for Tribute Comp
Music supervisor behind 'Rave On, Buddy Holly' returns to pay tribute to '70s folk rock royal family
Last month, Randall Poster, the veteran music supervisor behind last year’s star-studded, ridiculously excellent Rave On, Buddy Holly compilation, announced that he would be collecting and releasing a similar tribute record for the royal family of 1970s folk rock, Fleetwood Mac.
Now, details of that compilation have surfaced, per CoS. The disc is due August 14 via Hear Music/Concord, the same label duo that released Rave On…. The record, Just Tell Me That You Want Me, will feature covers by Antony Hegarty, Washed Out, the Kills, MGMT, and Best Coast, the latter of whom has previously professed their love for Fleetwood Mac musically with a cover of “Storms” (they’re set to furnish “Rhiannon” for the album). In the announcement last month, Poster said the track listing (below) was chosen with the intention of showcasing the band’s multi-era career. Judging by his previous work with Rave On… and film soundtracks like those of Fantastic Mr. Fox, Hugo, Revolutionary Road, and just about a million others, it’s safe to say this collection won’t be too shabby either (don’t expect anything straightforward out of Antony’s “Landslide” cover, though). Hear the New Pornographers’ contribution to the record, a cover of “Think About Me,” below.
The announcement of these details follow the recent death of former Fleetwood guitarist Bob Welch, who committed suicide earlier this month after doctors told him he would not recover from spinal surgery he underwent earlier this year and would have to be cared for by his wife.
Fleetwood Mac Tribute Album Track Listing:
- “Albatross” – Lee Ranaldo Band Featuring J Mascis (4:16)
- “Landslide” – Antony (3:33)
- “Before The Beginning” – Trixie Whitley (4:46)
- “Oh Well” – Billy Gibbons & Co. (4:45)
- “Rhiannon” – Best Coast (3:07)
- “Think About Me” – The New Pornographers (2:56)
- “Angel” – Marianne Faithfull (4:59)
- “Silver Springs” – Lykke Li (4:11)
- “Gold Dust Woman” – Karen Elson (5:43)
- “Storms” – Matt Sweeney And Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy (4:46)
- “Straight Back” – Washed Out (3:44)
- “That’s All For Everyone” – Tame Impala (3:43)
- “Sisters Of The Moon” – Craig Wedren with St. Vincent (3:45)
- “Dreams” – The Kills (4:46)
- “Gypsy” – Gardens & Villa (4:40)
- “Tusk” – The Crystal Ark (5:30)
- “Future Games” – MGMT (9:02)