News \

Judge Denies Kesha’s Injunction to Record Music Without Dr. Luke

"My instinct is to do the commercially reasonable thing," he told the two parties in New York

picture-23014-1408736514Brennan Carley // February 19, 2016

Earlier this morning in New York City, pop star Kesha — born Kesha Rose Sebert — was denied an injunction in the ongoing lawsuit she’s embroiled in with her former producer, Top 40 hitmaker and Max Martin protégé Dr. Luke (born Lukasz Gottwald). Kesha and her legal team had been seeking an injunction that would allow her to record music outside of Gottwald’s contract with the singer (following her allegations that the producer had sexually abused her and threatened to kill her dog), which stipulates an inability to do so. Said contract, Kesha argued, was “plummeting her career past the point of no return.” Per the Hollywood Reporter:

“You’re asking the court to decimate a contract that was heavily negotiated and typical for the industry,” said the judge to Mark Geragos, the attorney for Kesha, who sat in the back row with her mother Pebe and looked solemn.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Gottwald’s lawyers argued that the producer had invested $60 million into Kesha’s career, adding that the man had agreed to allow her to record with Sony — the label she’s signed to — sans his involvement. The judge, reports say, agreed with Gottwald’s lawyers that those circumstances and arrangements seemed reasonable:

The judge told Geragos that “decimates your argument,” adding, “My instinct is to do the commercially reasonable thing… I don’t understand why I have to take the extraordinary measure of granting an injunction.”

Though Kesha’s team argued that a new, non-Sony offer to the singer presented a more “elusive promise” than continuing to work with the label she’s at odds with, the judge was not swayed. The following tweets come from reporters who are on the scene:

Tags: Dr. Luke, kesha
5