RZA Drops New Wu-Tang Clan Song ‘Six Directions Of Boxing,’ Talks Reunion Album
"Maybe next year around the same time we put out '36 Chambers,' we put out a final chapter of recorded music."
RZA’s Quentin Tarantino-produced martial arts flick, The Man with the Iron Fists, hits theaters on November 2, but fans can hear a new Wu-Tang Clan song from the soundtrack right now, along with a few other goodies. The rapper/producer turned writer/director/actor shared “Six Directions of Boxing” today, a soul-seething banger featuring, in this order: U-God, Ghostface Killah, GZA, Masta Killa, Cappadonna, and Inspectah Deck. The beat comes from Frank Dukes, who put in work on Danny Brown’s excellent XXX and also contributed to SPIN’s Newermind Nirvana tribute album. No Method Man or Raekwon here, but they do appear on the soundtrack album along with Kanye West, the Black Keys, Freddie Gibbs, Pusha T, Brown, and more.
“Six Directions” arrives now to promote RZA’s soundtrack and score (the latter made with composer Howard Drossin), which will be available October 23 in a variety of formats, including a “Deluxe Ultra Pak” that, for $85, is actually kind of a score (no pun intended). That will include five CDs — an autographed copy of the Wu-heavy soundtrack, a copy of the score, an additional disc featuring the soundtrack instrumentals, and a double-disc set of RZA-picked funk and soul tracks from Stax Records that inspired the score and “the classic sound of the Wu-Tang Clan” — plus the soundtrack on double colored vinyl, a 7-inch single, two posters, and, of course, a Bobby Digital-approved download of all 70 tracks. Truly nothin’ to fuck wit.
Oh, and there are only 300 sets to go around. Well, 299. We just bought one. Listen to the new song and peruse the impressive soundtrack lineup below, but first check out RZA’s new interview with Sway below, in which he discusses making the movie, praises his star Russell Crowe’s unsung lyricism, and teases the seemingly very real possibility of a new Wu-Tang Clan album: “Next year, November … that’s our 20th anniversary. I told the brothers we should definitely come together and do something to close the book. So we’ve been building about it, and if life permits and the energy is proper, maybe next year [around] the same time we put out 36 Chambers, we’ll put out a final chapter of recorded music.”
The Man with the Iron Fists Soundtrack Track List:
1. “The Baddest Man Alive” – The Black Keys & RZA
2. “Black Out” – Ghostface Killah, M.O.P. & Pharoahe Monch
3. “White Dress” – Kanye West
4. “I Forgot To Be Your Lover” – The Revelations feat. Tre Williams
5. “Get Your Way (Sex as a Weapon)” – Talib Kweli and Res
6. “Rivers of Blood” – Wu-Tang Clan & Kool G Rap
7. “Built for This” – Method Man, Freddie Gibbs & Streetlife
8. “Poverty’s Paradise” – 24-Carat Black
9. “The Archer” – Killa Sin
10. “Just Blowin’ In The Wind” – RZA & Flatbush Zombies
11. “Chains” – Corinne Bailey Rae
12. “Tick Tock” – Pusha T, Raekwon & Joell Ortiz
13. “Green is the Mountain” – Frances Yip
14. “Six Directions of Boxing” – Wu-Tang Clan
15. “Bust Shots (Bonus Track)” – Inspectah Deck, Sheek Louch & Ghostface Killah