Metallica, Flaming Lips Retool Deep Purple Classics
'Re-Machined' tribute compilation celebrates the 40th anniversary of Deep Purple's 'Machine Head'
As long as there are beginning guitar players banging out the riff from “Smoke on the Water,” Deep Purple will remain one of heavy rock’s more influential bands. The English band’s landmark album Machine Head turns 40 years old this year, and a 10-song covers collection called Re-Machined is on its way September 25 to commemorate the anniversary. Ultimate Classic Rock has posted six of the tracks from the compilation, including Metallica’s courtly take on Purple B-side “When a Blind Man Cries” and the Flaming Lips’ zonked-out version of “Smoke on the Water” (with Butthole Surfers’ Gibby Haynes). Joe Elliott of Def Leppard also teams with Duff McKagan and Billy Idol guitarist Steve Stevens under the alias Kings of Chaos for a hard-rockin’ rendition of Machine Head’s “Never Before,” alongside covers by Chickenfoot, Zakk Wylde’s Black Label Society, and the quartet of Chickenfoot drummer Chad Smith, Purple bassist Glenn Hughes, guitar virtuoso Steve Vai, and keyboardist Lachlan Doley.
Re-Machined track list:
1. “Smoke On The Water” – Carlos Santana (re-release from Santana’s 2010 album Guitar Heaven)
2. “Highway Star” – Chickenfoot
3. “Maybe I’m A Leo” – Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Luis Maldonado
4. “Pictures Of Home” – Black Label Society
5. “Never Before” – Kings Of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Arlan Schierbaum)
6. “Smoke On The Water” – The Flaming Lips
7. “Lazy” – Jimmy Barnes, Joe Bonamassa
8. “Space Truckin” – Iron Maiden
9. “When A Blind Man Cries” – Metallica
10. “Highway Star” – Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Lachlan Doley