David Byrne and Will Oldham Pick Extremely Self-Deprecating Band Name
The Pieces of Shit composed and scored five tracks off the soundtrack for 'This Must Be the Place'
As SPIN reported earlier this year, a film about a musician who’s sort of modeled on the Cure’s Robert Smith debuted at Utah’s Sundance Festival in January. This Must Be the Place, which stars Sean Penn, isn’t a real biopic (just as the latest Clint Eastwood-directed rendition of A Star is Born isn’t a real Kurt Cobain biopic), but its soundtrack sure is real: In addition to songs by Jónsi & Alex, Iggy Pop, and Julia Kent, it will feature five tracks by composer-writer team David Byrne and Will Oldham a.k.a Bonnie “Prince” Billy, who have dubbed themselves, in all their apparent self-loathing, the Pieces of Shit. Fitting for a movie about-but-not-about the Cure, we guess?
As FACT reports, the soundtrack, which will be released on two-disc, deluxe-edition vinyl via the Vinyl Factory April 23, is available for pre-order now, while the film itself hits theaters this Friday, April 6. You’ll note the film’s title not-so-coincidentally pays homage to David Byrne’s Talking Heads track by the same name. In less of a coincidence, he performs it live on the soundtrack.
This Must Be the Place Soundtrack
- “Lord I’m Coming” – Gavin Friday
- “Lay & Love” – The Pieces Of Shit
- “Open Up” – The Pieces Of Shit
- “Charmaine” – Mantonvanni & His Orchestra
- “Arvo Part: Spiegel Im Spiegel” – Daniel Hope, Simon Mulligan
- “This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)” – Trevor Green
- “This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)” Live – David Byrne
- “Gardemoen” – Julia Kent
- “Happiness” – Jónsi & Alex
- “Eliza” – The Pieces Of Shit
- “The Passenger” – Iggy Pop
- “You Can Live It” – The Pieces Of Shit
- “Achille’s Heel – Il Second Bounce – Brooklyn Rider
- “If It Falls, It Falls” – The Pieces Of Shit
- “This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)” – Gloria
- “Every Single Moment In My Life Is A Weary Wait” – Nuno Bruno E Le 8 Tracce
- “The Sword Is Yours” – The Pieces Of Shit