SPIN.com’s Best of the Week, September 15-21
What we learned this week: Eminem hates his new songs. Scott Weiland's new single is awesome. Paramore really like vampires. And more.
The financial sector may be in meltdown, but here at SPIN.com we’ve witnessed the music business in full swing, including long-awaited reunions and triumphant comebacks, as well as a certain hip-hop visionary in the throes of writer’s block. Check out this week’s highlights below:
What we learned about Eminem’s long-in-the-making follow-up to 2004’s Encore: Slim Shady is hard at work on new material — but it’s doubtful that we’ll see the results anytime soon.Click here to learn why.
What we learned from Scott Weiland’s new song, “Paralysis”: Even booze-swilling bad boys have a big, shiny pop heart. The first track leaked from Weiland’s forthcoming solo record, Happy in Galoshes, is so positive-sounding that it might help him reconcile with the remaining members of Velvet Revolver — uh, probably not.Click here to have a listen.
What we learned from Paramore’s contribution to the forthcoming soundtrack to Twilight: Hayley Williams prefers vampires to wizards — no, seriously, she does.Click here to see what, exactly, we’re talking about.
What we learned from this week’s release of heavy-metal titans Metallica’s Death Magnetic: No matter how many past mistakes you’ve made, it’s always possible to return with a thrashing vengeance.Check out the SPIN review here to get our take on the riff-tastic new record.
– New Death Cab Live Performances!Check out footage of the Seattle quartet rolling out two tracks — one old and one new.
– Exclusive: New Tilly and the Wall VideoJoin the tap dancing indie popsters in a balloon-filled confetti party for “Alligator Skin.”
– Killers Reveal New Album Details The Las Vegas quartet will follow up 2006’s chart-topper Sam’s Town with an “epic” effort.
– Ryan Adams’ New Album: More Rock than Country Plus: The prolific singer/songwriter schedules tour to support the upcoming release.
– Kanye West vs. 50 Cent, Again? The G-Unit rapper unveils his new album during a concert, calling out West to yet another album sales battle.
– Metallica’s ‘Magnetic’ Hits No. 1 How many copies did the metal quartet’s new album sell? Click here for details.
– Ben Folds Five Reunite in Chapel Hill! After nearly a decade, the trio perform their seminal album The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner at a one-time-only event.
Amanda Palmer, Who Killed Amanda Palmer (Roadrunner)
Dead Confederate, Wrecking Ball (The Artists’ Organization)
Lindsey Buckingham, Gift of Screws (Reprise)
Buckcherry, Black Butterfly (Atlantic/Eleven Seven)
The Subways, All or Nothing (Warner Bros/Sire)
The Shaky Hands, Lunglight (Kill Rock Stars/Holocene)
Parenthetical Girls, Entanglements (Tomlab)
Gym Class Heroes, The Quilt (Decaydance/Fueled by Ramen)
The New Year, The New Year (Touch and Go)
Fujiya & Miyagi, Lightbulbs (Deaf Dumb and Blind)
Bart Davenport, Palaces (Antenna Farm)
Common Market, Tobacco Road (Hyena)
Okkervil River, The Stand Ins (Jagjaguwar)
Kimya Dawson, Alphabutt (K)
Calexico, Carried to Dust (Quarterstick)
Bound Stems, The Family Afloat (Flameshovel)